Wednesday 15 February 2017

Experimentation

   EXPERIMENTATION

It is always necessary to experiment in one's art

 
I am not sure where I am going with this landscape but the rocks are based on my memory of the Montagne Noir, in southern France where I once lived.


I like the colours in this experimental landscape - the basis for a much larger painting perhaps..

The blue sky is added last, defining the purple shapes. It takes hours to accomplish but the end results can be quite exciting. Sometimes!


This is a photo-collage on gouache. 
It's meant to be Icarus, son of Daedalus. 

Daedalus was the mythical character who built his son wings but the young man flew too near the sun, whereupon the wax melted and he plunged to the ground!

Story of my life, really!


I found this photograph of a young girl with red hair in a magazine and simply stuck it onto a gouache study for some hand-painted brown rocks that I had in my 'what do I do with these?' portfolio.!

It could be the makings of a nice portrait of some kind. It's these unexpected juxtapositions that sometimes prompt ideas for larger paintings

It's a bit like lateral thinking. 
Sometimes it works; sometimes not.

We shall see!

Mike Healey

No comments: