Wednesday 1 November 2017

Work in Progress

Early next year I have an exhibition at the Brewery Arts Centre, Kendal - here in the UK.
It is called 'Pagan Spring'

Below is one of the large paintings that I am currently working on for that exhibition. It shows Hades, King of the Underworld

Hades - Mike Healey
Acrylic on canvas 80 x 100 cm.

Our notions of  Greek mythology are largely based on late Greek or Renaissance images. They show 'classical' figures in white marble

Hades

The fact that the ancient Greeks painted their statues in lurid colours, augmented with gold leaf, is often forgotten

Before and after!

What I am trying to do is change our preconceptions from urbane, 'Western' representations of these gods to something stranger, more exotic and rooted - not in mainland Greece - but North Africa, including Egypt

 Hence my Taureg-inspired King of the Underworld

Hades - detail

Over the next few weeks I will show you two other paintings related to this one that I am also working on - Persephone and Dionysus

MIKE HEALEY

No comments: